Your wedding is expensive. Flowers, catering and wedding dress are all necessary, yet expensive investments. It’s great to look at where you can cut costs on your wedding day where you can. One of the best areas to cut money on, without sacrificing on quality and presentation, is one your bridesmaid gifts.
What is the ideal gift for a bridesmaid?
Your bridesmaids are invaluable in helping you to plan and organise your wedding day. They are there to lend a hand with important wedding planning and offer you important advice on your wedding dress and accessories. They also provide you with emotional support and practical advice on how to deal with pre-wedding jitters. Your bridesmaids put a lot of time and effort into helping you plan and organise your wedding day, so it’s good etiquette to get them a little gift to say thank you for all of their hard work and support.
However, on top of all the other costs that come with organising a wedding, gifts for your bridesmaids can seem like a huge expense. One great way to help cut the cost of gifts for your bridesmaids is by going the DIY route. Homemade gifts are seen as heartfelt and special. They show you took the time and effort to make them something.
There are a number of DIY gift options to choose from. One of our favourites are homemade scented candles. Below are our instructions on how to craft and style these charming gifts.
DIY scented candles
Everyone loves a scented candle for their ambience, warmth and scent. They make wonderful gifts but they can be expensive when bought from a store. Fortunately, scented candles are surprisingly easy to make yourself at home.
Firstly, you’ll want to find some jars for your candle wax. Jars can be simple, or they can be colourful and styled with interesting patterns. Shop around in local stores and online to see which kind of jars appeal to you most. Glass jars are a good way to go, as they are heat resistant and look attractive.
After finding some pretty glass jars to house your candle wax, you’ll need to purchase the wax itself. Wax can be purchased online or at a local craft store. Next up, you’ll want to purchase your candle wicks. Choose candle wicks with a metal base, that way they can be used immediately.
Now it’s time to get to work.
1. Attach your candle wicks by melting some wax and applying it to the metal collars of the wicks. Use this to stick the collars to the bottom of each glass.
2. Now it’s time to melt your wax. Place your wax in a heatproof (preferably glass) bowl and place the bowl in a saucepan full of water; heat the water on a low to medium heat.
3. As the wax melts, stir gently with a spoon. Do not leave it unattended and be careful to avoid touching the wax with your fingers, as it may be hot.
4. Want to add some colour to your candle? Add some non-toxic coloured crayon pieces in order to change your candle’s colour.
5. Watch the wax closely and remove from pan once it has melted.
6. After the wax has melted, allow it some time to cool. Afterwards you can add your scented essential oils; add around 10-15 drops of oil to your candle wax.
7. Next, slowly and carefully pour your wax into your candle jars.
8. Finally trim your wick, leaving a portion of it is above the candle wax.
Scented candles are a lovely, heartfelt gift to give your bridesmaids. All of your bridesmaids will appreciate the care and thought that you have put into making them homemade gifts.